Monday, June 16, 2014

Heads and feets

Heads as in bicycling helmets and feets as in cycling shoes.

I have noticed as of late that my old Lake shoes are looking a titch worn. I've had them since 05-06. 8 years is nice stretch for shoes. Same holds true of the Uvex helmet. Around 8 years by all standards I should have a new helmet by now. It's that that uvex is so unusual here and man it's a damn fine helmet. Plus it's black.

I have always wanted a catlike:

The price even on sale is steep at over 170 bucks. So unless I absolutely NEED a new helmet No catlike in my future. Which brings up me feets.

I love my lakes make no mistake I bought them with the express purpose of wearing them for hours on end and days at a time on the Colorado Trail. They worked remarkably for that purpose and many others esp on certain sections of the CT that were hike-a-bike I know I know everyone LOVES sidis which is all fine and good, I just bristle at wearing what others wear. I also did not like the idea of a buckle busting on me in the middle of no where and then I'm fucked with no good way to wear the shoe and pedal or walk. The lakes have velcro and although velcro wears out after a bit you don't have to worry about it failing on you on day 4 of a 7-8 day trip in the back country.

I do have to admit the sidi does have some current appeal:

At 260 bones well...I think the lakes will do for now as well. Unless my lakes totally fall apart and cannot be repaired with duct tape then nearly any shoe will be out of budget. Most of my money is tied up in going to the west coast for a week and building out the crew area of the truck. Which is coming along fine in small increments. I'll have a special post about that in a few weeks.

So far I have torn out the jump seats and cut out all the surrounding plastic in the crew compartment which in the middle held the jack. I put new and better sound proofing in there and today measured out and made cardboard templates for the wood that will go in there. There is a lot of small crevices in the area and thought it would be simple to just try to make it all square. I'm by no means a handy dude and will be really be depending on B.I.L to help out since he has experience with RV type things. I have a plan that I think will work now I just gotta get my shit together for it.

I try to get a truck project a summer done a year last year it was the camper shell. I'm planning my Asheville MTB trip for around the end of July. Lots needs to happen by then, even if I just get the wood part down I'll be happy. I'll post a rough sketch soon too.

I'll end here I have to pack for my west coast trip and work this week. Then this will be my last ride for the next week or so over at Dauset at the ass crack of dawn. I might be able to squeeze one in at the very end of June depending on circumstances. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment